Shenzhen Entry Policy Interpretation by Shenzhen Public Security Bureau Go back »

2020-05-27 | South China

Shenzhen Entry Policy Interpretation by Shenzhen Public Security Bureau

On 22nd May, the European Chamber South China Chapter organised an online and onsite Q&A session on entry policies relating to Shenzhen with the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau Foreign Visa Department and the Nanshan District Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Department.

Due to the fast-changing nature of the pandemic, it may not be possible to provide a specific date or policy for every question we received. This session focused on clarifying the latest policies, as well as to hear recommendations from the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau.


Updates on the ‘Fast-track’ Channel


Fast-track means ‘crossing the border without needing to quarantine’. This policy is now at the planning and discussion stage. A fast-track channel agreement indicates that the governments of both countries have agreed to implement such action, on the premise that both countries have effectively controlled the pandemic. For example, 20 Korean experts have returned to China under this policy. The implementation of a ‘fast-track’ channel not only depends on the Chinese government, but also on how the countries wishing to participate in this scheme have controlled the pandemic. The latest information on the policy can be found on the following three WeChat accounts: Guangdong Foreign Affairs Office, Shenzhen Foreign Affairs Office, and National Immigration Administration (NIA).

For the latest policies and details on visa regulations, please follow the National Immigration Administration (NIA) website and/or WeChat. For Shenzhen-specific regulations, please follow the Shenzhen Foreign Affairs Office website and/or WeChat.


推荐关注三个微信账号和网站查询最新资讯:广东外事办深圳外事办还有国家移民局 (NIA)。


What is the process for individuals’ applications to return to China?


Chinese visas issued before 28th March 2020 are not valid any more. If you have a visa issued after 28th March, you can enter China (with instructed quarantine). For important matters (such as crucial business, scientific research, humanitarian aid), you will need a company or an institution/organisation based in China to apply for an invitation letter from the local foreign affairs office.


What qualifies a specialist to return to China?


First, companies and institutions based in China must decide which experts they wish to apply for a visa for. Different Chinese government departments are responsible for verifying specialists in different industries. For example: telecommunication companies should submit their specialists’ applications to the Municipal Industry and Information Technology Bureau, and specialists in science and technology should submit applications to the Municipal Science and Technology Innovation Committee. Other experts who do not work in industries under specific government branches should submit their applications to Municipal Foreign Experts Bureau. 


Current quarantine policy when entering China


Everyone not going through the fast-track channel will need to quarantine for 14 days after entering China.


How to apply for a visa?


Individuals can contact their nearest Chinese embassy to apply for a visa. The Chinese Foreign Ministry website has a list of all consulates’ and embassies’ contact information.


For specialists invited to apply for a visa:

  • first, make sure your company and relevant industry is listed among the crucial industries specified by the local government.
  • If it is, your company can apply for an invitation letter from the local foreign affairs office.
  • With the Invitation letter, you can apply for a visa at your nearest Chinese embassy.
  • Be sure to confirm your flight details and local quarantine measures for your destination city in advance.

If you are on a humanitarian trip, please contact your local government for a visa. If you arrive in Hong Kong before entering Mainland China, you will need to be quarantined in Hong Kong and quarantined again after entering Shenzhen/Mainland China.


What should I do if my visa is going to expire?


All permits were automatically extended for 60 days from 27th Feb 2020. But the 60-day automatic extension can only be used once. If the 60-day extension is expiring, then you must go to the Exit-Entry Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau to apply for another extension. If you have a 10-year visa with multi-entry and 60-day stay permit each time, you can go to the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau to apply for another 60-day extension. If you have a 30-day visa, it can only be extended for 30 days. 

Since the current visa situation is unprecedented, as it was caused by the global pandemic, there is no regulation available. All decisions depend on the latest developments in the pandemic.



Cross-border travel between Hong Kong and Mainland China


The Hong Kong and Shenzhen authorities have continuously been in communication since the current situation arose. Currently, crossing between Hong Kong and Shenzhen requires quarantine, and will any changes be jointly determined by the Centre for Disease Control of both Hong Kong and Shenzhen. Discussions about ‘cross-border students’, who live in Shenzhen and study in Hong Kong, and important business travel between the two locations are taking place, but all decisions need to be made gradually. Chinese citizens and foreign citizens will be treated equally.



Disclaimer: The above information is based on notes of a meeting with the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau Foreign Visa Department and the Nanshan District Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Departmenton 22nd May to give guidance to European Chamber members. It is not meant as legal advice. The steps and requirements listed above need to be confirmed by the authority in charge of the visa application.